The Weimar period: European and overseas customers put their faith in HAMM motorised road rollers
From Tirschenreuth to the entire world: The international breakthrough for HAMM came after the First World War. Motorised road rollers were supplied to all four corners of the globe. During the 1920s, Germany slowly recovered from the consequences of the First World War. HAMM concentrated on the production of a motorised road roller. The first documented export sale occurred in April 1924: The records show that HAMM delivered the first motorised road roller to Austria. In the 1920s and 1930s, the export share grew to 34 percent. HAMM road rollers were delivered to Italy, the Netherlands, France, Romania and Switzerland. One particular order for the Tirschenreuth-based company was received from a former war-time enemy: The French Republic ordered 30 motorised road rollers for use in Guadeloupe and its colonies in Indochina.
Even though HAMM enjoyed great international success from the 1920s onwards and was able to build on this success story once again after 1945, the regional market remained of particular importance. Two thirds of the road rollers sold in Germany was supplied by HAMM to customers in Bavaria. Bavarian authorities and companies remained the most important customers for road rollers until well into the 1960s. Despite the many international successes, HAMM remained firmly rooted in its local community.